Tuesday, February 8, 2011
The Loaded Bowl!
I came across this recipe from a girl at school. She was having a dinner party and described this recipe that she was making. It sounded delicious, so I of course had to look it up. I am all about making new recipes, especially ones that contain quinoa. Quinoa is one of my favorite "superfoods". Along with being high in fiber, it is also high in protein and unlike other grains, it supplies all 9 essential amino acids which means its a great protein source for vegetarians. There is quite a bit of chopping involved, but other than that, this recipe is quick and easy. I served it at room temperature and it was perfect! If you want to add a kick to it, add some cayenne pepper or tabasco. ENJOY!
2 avocados diced
3 cups cooked quinoa
1-2 cans black beans rinsed
1 cup cilantro
1 pint grape tomatoes halved
1/4 cup EVOO
1/4 cup white vinegar
2-3 cloves of garlic
salt and pepper to taste
1. Cook quinoa according to directions. Set aside
2. Dice avocados, squeeze with lemon juice to prevent browning. set aside
3. In a large bowl, combine beans, tomatoes, cilantro, juice of lemon and lime.
4. In food processor combine EVOO, vinegar, garlic, salt and pepper. Mixture should become creamy.
5. Add quinoa to bean mixture. Drizzle with dressing. Garnish with avocado.