Thursday, December 2, 2010

Bye Bye Binky










Deciding whether or not to let Sophia use a pacifier when she was born was a tough decision. I have heard that using a pacifier while breastfeeding is a bad idea, but I have also heard that providing the pacifier can be a good source of comfort for babies. We decided to let Sophia use a "binky" when she was born, with the condition that it be gone by 18 months. I absolutely HATE when I see older children with a pacifier. It is not only bad for their teeth, but I think parents need to take action in getting rid of the pacifier so that children are not so dependent on it for comfort. Sophia has happily enjoyed her binky for her first 17 months of life. She used to have it whenever she started to fuss, and we have slowly moved to only using it at night and during naps. I put her down in her crib tonight without a binky for the first time ever! She has not woken up yet. This is a bittersweet moment for me. I am thrilled that she is ready to give up the pacifier, and yet I am sad because it reminds me that my baby girl is not really a baby anymore. Saying bye bye to the binky is probably harder for me than it is for Sophia!

No comments:

Post a Comment